11. Day: Flight to Santiago de Chile. Overnight stay in a hotel.
12. Day: Domestic flight to Copiapo and drive to Laguna Santa Rosa at 3700m. A beautiful lagoon with flamingos. Camp.
13. Day: During an acclimatization tour to one of the surrounding lower five thousanders we get to experience the unique mysticism of the Atacama Desert. Then it’s onward to Laguna Verde at 4300, where we will camp out for 2 nights and bathe in the hot springs.
14 Day: Hike and rest.
15. Day: Hike and afternoon departure by jeep and then on foot to the Atacama camp at 5100m. Overnight stay in tents.
16. Day: After breakfast we bring our equipment and water to the small Tejos hut at 5830m and descend back into the Atacama camp.
17. Day: Ascent to the Tejos hut where we will spend the night.
18. Day: Summit attempt. We climb over gravel, boulders, snow and glaciers to the crater rim. The last meters to the summit require some 2nd level of difficulty climbing. Then we descend to Camp Atacama or to the Tejos Hut.
19. Day: Reserve summit day.
20. Day: Return to Copiapo and overnight stay in a hotel.
21. Day: Homeward journey with the return flight from Santiago de Chile arriving home on the next day.